Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Top 10 SNES Music of All Time

As the SNES is my favorite system of all time (I dare you to argue), here's my tribute to music that still gets me excited to this day. Note: only did one per game, as I easily get carried away... ranking based on what makes me want to pull out my SNES and put in a 10hr session.

10. DK Island Swing (Donkey Kong Country)
DK Country was like Metroid for the family with its style of secret finding... If my windows media player could have been tracking how many times I've listened to songs from video games, I would love to know how many times I have heard this one.

9. Battle Theme Song (Super Metroid)
Speaking of Metroid, I have to give this guy credit for nearly making my heart explode when I was little...
Blank

8. Corneria Theme Song (Star Fox)
I loved Star Fox. LOVED IT.
Blank

7. Mario Circuit Track Theme (Super Mario Kart)
I loved Super Mario Kart more. I LOVED IT.
Blank

6. Castle Theme Song (Super Mario World)
I definitely draw a correllation between great video game music, and music that is accompanied by moments of absurd excitement and nervousness. 
Blank

5. Title Screen Theme Song (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)
My problem with emulators is my own selfishness - I no longer get to listen to stuff like this every time I fire up Link to the Past, I just jump to where I left off.
Blank

4. Storm Eagle's Stage (Mega Man X)
This is a personal favorite from one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time. Pick and choose from this classic, it's difficult to argue for the one best.
Blank

3. Guile Stage Theme Song (Street Fighter II)
In my earlier street fighter days I used to think Guile was the end-all-be-all... then I learned how to roll a control pad and found Ryu.
Blank
2. The Fiece Battle (Final Fantasy III)
This song gets me so amp'd up I've listened to it before: tests, interviews, football games, trading, and once, a fight.
Blank

1. Battle with Magus (Chrono Trigger)
This my single favorite video game moment of all time. I think I seized the first time I was so excited throughout this dungeon + fight, and I distinctly remember not sleeping for dayS afterwards. Just listening to this gives me chills...

20 comments:

  1. Not a bad list at all, but I probably would have gone with something else from the Zelda game. There was so much great 16 bit music in that game it is hard to choose just one.

    I'm setting up a link to this post on my blog tomorrow morning with my Friday Links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Fantastic list.

    I'm also a new Blogger! (We talk about the same basic stuff too).

    I'll be sure to follow your stuff. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great songs, remembered my times of snes... Good luck for you, im a freshman too, i have a blog that i created yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, Final Fantasy III / VI and Chrono Trigger are both musical buffets I continuously gorge myself on. I think the "Coin Song" would have to be my choice from FFVI, though. So emotional and lovely. "The Fierce Battle" fulfills a different niche, though.

    Some great games on this list. Gotta love the SNES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, I love most of these. Brings back memories. :) However:

    THESE ARE NOT SONGS. SONGS HAVE WORDS, DAMN IT.

    That is all.

    --Friendly anonymous music major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any instrumental band ever would like to disagree with you

      --friendly anonymous person who has been playing music since you were in diapers

      Delete
  6. Now, usually, when people make a list of things that involve video games, be it best of the best or best tunes or whatever, they're usually filled with things that aren't actually good, but everyone likes for some reason. I'm not trying to be snobbish and say "err-hum, THIS list isn't good because it didn't have the theme from the Japanese exclusive Rudra no Hihō."

    But regardless, this list is fantastic. It doesn't have those tracks that everyone picks because they're just tracks that stick out. These are fantastic tracks. Good job, bro.

    Also, to the Anonymous poster on 2/9/09:

    You should try telling the classical artists that their music wouldn't be a "song." They would probably get so mad their powdered wig would spin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh it brings back memories

    sometimes i find it too nostalgic to play my snes now. it's just too beautiful

    Low self-confidence?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome blog man.

    My inner and outer nerds thank you.

    "Chris is Starving!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep it up, wheres some more?

    you got great taste in musics Id love to hear what else u dig!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good stuff and a nice list.

    Do you fancy doing an Amiga music list?

    Amiga Games

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best SNES music was the japanese version of BIOMETAL. A mix of incredible heavy techno that fit the game perfectly. It was taken out of the EUR and US versions over copyright issues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't sleep for days? What the fuck?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Final Fantasy VI Atma Fight and Chrono Trigger fight with Magus have always been my 2 MOST favorite song/music type things in my ENTIRE gaming life!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. all of these themes are awesome. only one i might add would be something from TMNT 4:turtles in time that game had some epic tracks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Red cap assault final fantasy mystic quest!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sry, I totally disagree with that selection. how bout lufia 2?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stickerbrush Symphony is a staple of 16bit music and its not on here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice check out my list!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFP4_UOOFRg&list=UUBZvTZD-bfn820hs7bRUVKA

    ReplyDelete